Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Most Important Things

Today is the day before Thanksgiving.  My kids and husband are home and my in-laws are due to arrive this evening.  The sky is cloudy and even though it's not cold enough yet, it looks like it could snow any minute.  It would be a great day to snuggle in with my family, enjoy a cup of hot cocoa and a board game.

Instead, my boys are downstairs cleaning their room, my husband is vacuuming the living room, and I'm thinking through my list of what else has to be done before my mother and father-in-law arrive: the food prep, the cleaning, the laundry, the errands... So much to be done so the house will look perfect when our guests arrive!

But here's the thing: they don't care if all the hampers are empty or if the floors are spotless.  They came to spend a few days with their family.  They'll be here for just a few days before they head back to Missouri.  And my boys and my husband will only be off of school for a few days, too.  And instead of enjoying every moment with them, I've got them all working, working, working.


It screams the story of Mary and Martha at me.  Martha was working so hard with her dinner preparations for Jesus and his comrades that she was missing an opportunity to just sit and soak up her Lord.  Mary, it seems, was more in tune with what was really important.  Jesus would only be with them for a short time, and she didn't want to miss even one moment with Him.  Even Jesus Himself said that Martha was worrying about things that were not important.  And I have a feeling my in-laws would say the same about all of my fuss.


So...we'll do a little cleaning up today, but we're going to stop soon and take some time to enjoy one another.  We're going to focus on what's really important: spending time with the people we love.  We're going to build some memories that will last far beyond that of a clean house or a fabulous dinner.  These days of my kids' childhood are fleeting, and I don't want to waste even one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!