Monday, February 21, 2011

He Never Lets Go

Yesterday morning during our worship service, we sang the song "Never Let Go" by Matt Redman.  Ironically, I had been singing it myself the whole week before.  Now I know why.  The chorus of this song says this:

Oh, no, You never let go.
Through the calm and through the storm.
Oh, no, You never let go.
In every high and every low.
Oh, no, You never let go,
Lord, You never let go of me.

As we sang the song yesterday, this amazing picture popped into my head.  It was a picture of God's hand wrapped tightly around me.  Not just around my hand, but around all of me.  I knew I was safe there.  I knew that no matter what happened, God would never let go of me, neither on purpose nor by accident.  I can never "slip" from His grasp, and He will never intentionally let me fall.  Nor can any circumstance pull me from His grip.


And then I had another "vision" of sorts.  This time, I was holding on to a rope that was fraying and about to break.  In fact, it was holding on only by a thread and I was desperately trying to cling to the rope, hoping against hope that it would hold up under my weight.  What I didn't realize was that I was resting securely in the palm of God's hand the entire time.  I was desperately afraid of falling and was trying so hard to hold myself up that I didn't realize I just needed to let go and trust God to hold on to me.

Do you feel like that sometimes?  Maybe even now?  Do you feel like you're just holding on by a thread and that if one more trial comes that thread will break and you'll plummet downward to your demise?  Friend, look down and see that God's hand is there underneath you.  Sure, the trials will come and they will be bitter.  But God's hand will always be there.  And He's a BIG God; He cannot be tumbled by the trials of this world.  Of that you can be sure.


I want you to see one other thing.  Notice that the hand that holds you bears the scar of a deep wound.  The hand that holds you belongs to a God who loves you so completely that He would stop at nothing, even death on a cross, to rescue you.  The hand that holds you is that of a God who has suffered just as we have -- physically, emotionally, relationally -- and understands what it means to stare death in the face.  The hand that holds you is steady and strong, yet compassionate and caring.  In it you can place your whole trust and find the solace that your soul longs for.  Friend, when you belong to Jesus, you are safe.  Always.


"Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."  Deut. 31:6.


Oh, no, You never let go.
In every high and every low.
Oh, no, You never let go,
Lord, you never let go of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!