Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This Is Life!

I love autumn.  I love the crispness in the air, the trees all adorned in their red, orange and gold.  I love the coziness of curling up on the couch with a blanket, a steaming mug of coffee or cider and a good book.  I especially love all of the yummy things I get to make when fall rolls around: pumpkin cakes, molasses cookies and homemade soup.  Yep, I really do love so much about fall.
But for our family, fall also brings with it a sort of “madness.”  Football practices and soccer games and dance class.  Homework, piano lessons, and all sorts of meetings.  My husband is a high school music teacher, so for him fall also means a school musical, which means lots and lots of evening rehearsals.  It seems one of us is always going somewhere.  Rare is the occasion that we have an evening during the week with our entire family at home.  And the weekends – they’re just as busy!  I find myself longing for the END of fall after only a few weeks of this craziness.
Last weekend I had the opportunity to pull away from my hectic family life and spend a few days ministering to and with an incredible group of women.  I got to pray for women as they struggled to forgive the deepest of betrayals, or as they experienced acceptance for the very first time.  I got to pray for fellow servants as they prepared to share messages of God’s grace and of His plan for each of us.  I got to experience the power of the Holy Spirit speaking through me as I opened His Word for these women to hear.  It was the most incredible three days of my life.  And once it was over and I was back home with my family, it struck me that this – touching the hearts and changing the lives of other people – is what life in Christ is really about.  Sure, the things I do with my family are absolutely important, and I cherish my time with them.  But drawing people to Christ…that is vital.  And that is what I want to do more of.
The last instruction Jesus gave us before He ascended into heaven was to go and make disciples.  And then Paul tells us in Galatians that we should always find ways to do good things for other people, especially those who know and love the Lord.  What greater “good” is there than drawing people closer to their God?!  But I find that chasing after a husband and four kids rarely leaves time for fostering my own relationship with God, let alone ministering to others.  And so it’s time to start “ridding out,” like I would a closet full of old clothes.  It’s time to start pruning my life of the lesser important things and searching out ways to spend more time being about the Lord’s work instead of my own.
I’m sure some of you are groaning and thinking to yourself, “She wants me to do MORE?”  I know you’re busy, and I know that many of you are involved with more than one ministry at your church.  Trust me, I’m not asking you to add any busyness to your life!  But maybe, just maybe, there are some things that you are doing that someone else could just as easily do in your place, which would then leave you some time to spread a little of Jesus’ love in someone else’s life.  And really, sometimes it’s as easy as writing an encouraging note to someone you know is struggling.  Or fixing a double recipe of that casserole and taking it to a friend.  Or praying with someone who is wrestling with a tough decision.  There are so many ways to bring Jesus to someone’s life.  Find one that you’re gifted to do and do it!
The “Fall Madness” of the Logan family has just now hit full stride.  It is going to be a challenge for me not to get lost in the busyness of our family and forget to be Christ’s ambassador.  I pray that God will show me opportunities every day to share His love and to minister to His people.  I also pray that I won’t be so busy that I chose not to take those opportunities. 
“Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.” (Galatians 6:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!