Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A New Perspective on Trust

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways, acknowledge Him
and He will make your paths straight. 
Proverbs 3:5-6


I've been praying a lot lately, more than I ever remember doing before. I'm trying hard to make Paul's instruction to "pray continually" a very real part of my life.  And I've been praying about some very specific issues.  Every day I lay things out before God and ask for His help, His leading, His direction.  I pray for Him to provide a solution to the things I'm struggling with and I've been trying to wait patiently for Him to answer.  And I've been expecting great things from Him.  So far, all I've heard from Him is silence.

Today I decided to tell God how frustrated I am that I don't seem to be getting any answers from Him.  I told Him how confused I was, that I just didn't even know what to pray for any more.  And then, in a crystal clear voice, I finally got an answer in the form of Scripture: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."

I had always considered this verse a reference to God making and keeping me righteous when I acknowledge Him, but today He told me clearly that if I wanted direction and leadership from Him, I needed to stop praying for my own solutions to come to pass and instead trust Him to figure things out.  I've been praying specifically about His plans for my future, telling Him exactly what I wanted it to be like and praying that He would show me how it would happen.  While I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, I think what God showed me today was that I wasn't trusting Him.  I was trying to figure things out by my own understanding.  Even though I've been praying about how to pursue things that He put on my heart, I haven't trusted Him with the details. I saw today that I need to step back and acknowledge Him and then He'll show me which road I'm supposed to be on.  I love how the NLT phrases verse 6: "Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take."  I think I was so busy pining after what I wanted that I forgot to ask God what He wanted for me.

So I guess today I am forming a new prayer, one that asks for God to reveal His own ideas for my life instead of asking Him to make mine happen.  I will continue to pray for the true desires of my heart to be fulfilled, but I do acknowledge that His path for me is perfect, even if I can only see one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!