Monday, May 13, 2013

No One Like Our God

During my personal Bible study time this morning, I was reading about God's truthfulness and faithfulness, which somehow morphed into meditating on His trustworthiness.   And really, I'm not sure if "trustworthy" is the right word... I was thinking about how much we can really trust God, not just in the sense of whether He is truthful, but in the sense that we can know that He has our best interests at heart... that His desire is not to harm us, and that we can know we are SAFE in His presence.

I know that we are to fear God (see Ecclesiastes 12:13 and 1 Peter 2:17), but it is not "fear" in the sense that we have to be afraid of Him.  When kings ruled the earth, it was usually the law that you could not enter the king's presence until he summoned you, unless you had a death wish (think of the story of Esther).  And even when the king did summon you, you entered his courtroom cautiously, never completely sure of what he might say or do; your life often depended on the whims of the king.  Our God, our King, is not like that.  Yes, we fear Him because of His holiness and His mighty power.  We fear him because He is the King of Kings and the Creator of the universe.  We do not fear Him because He rules by his whims.  

In this, we find one of the great dichotomies of our faith: we fear God and yet we can trust Him.  We can enter into God's presence by our own choice, a privilege established by our Savior Jesus (Hebrews 4:16), trusting that we are safe... And not only safe, but WELCOMED, like a child running to her father.  Fear and trust, living side by side. 

My response to this today has been one of worship.  As I picture myself walking confidently into the presence of the Most Holy, Almighty God, knowing that I will find in Him the safest refuge that can ever be found, I cannot help but bow my knee in worship.  Truly, there is NO ONE like our God!

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the line about Aslan from one of the Narnia books: "Is he safe? Of course he's not safe! But he is good!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he's good. He’s the King, I tell you.”

      Delete

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!