Monday, August 5, 2013

A Prayer For My Children

 It's time for this week's



Tomorrow is enrollment day for my kiddos.  ALL FOUR OF THEM. 

Sniff.

The end of a beautiful stage of life for the Logan family has officially passed.  My oldest will enter Jr. High, and my "baby" will start kindergarten.  No more kiddos at home keeping me company while the others are away, no more early morning snuggles after everyone else has left for school.

Because in just a few short days ALL FOUR of my children will leave this safe little haven called home and instead spend their days learning from someone else.

And I don't just mean their teachers.

Sigh.

I don't even like to THINK about the things they will be exposed to.  Especially my oldest, who is starting at a new school with 400 other students, most of whom we've never met.  And that's just the seventh grade class!  I grew up in a small town, graduating with nearly all of the same 35 people that I started kindergarten with.  So the idea of four hundred kids all in the same class has me more than a little nervous!

It's a hard thing for me to let go of my kiddos and trust that they'll be okay.  The "what if's" poke at me,  taunting me.  What if someone picks on them?  What if they make friends with the "wrong" kids?  What if they don't behave the way I've taught them?  What if...?

And then the Lord reminds me (almost on a daily basis, mind you)..."WHAT IF you just trust Me?"

Hmm.  You've got a point there, Lord.

And so it is with this prayer that I let my children go, into the world where they will be influenced by so many others who have never experienced the love and compassion of our Lord.  TRUSTING that He will guard them and keep them as His own, and bring them home to me each afternoon.

"I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding.  For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God." Philippians 1:9-11

Now it's your turn: What are you praying for your kids this school year?






No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!