Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Leftovers

 How about a little


Over the weekend my husband put in some hours at his second job while the kids and I spent the day at the football field and visiting with my parents.  Knowing that we were planning to grill burgers and hotdogs for lunch, Scott requested on his way out the door that I "save him some."

When it came time to eat, apparently my children hadn't been fed in years...well, at least since breakfast.  They devoured the food in record time, leaving one hamburger and half of a hotdog on the serving plate.  One of the boys asked if they could have that last burger, but I quickly jumped in to protect it.  "That one's for Dad!"

I wanted to make sure and save him something.  After all, he did ask.

Normally when we sit down to dinner, while I serve the kids first, I save the biggest, choicest piece of meat for my husband.  After all, he's the king of this castle and deserves the best.

And, besides that, I love him, and I choose to honor him by giving him the best portion.

He's never asked me to do that, and I don't know that he even realizes that I do it.  Which makes it even better, because it comes from a genuine desire to bless him, not my own attempt for accolades or displays of gratitude.

While there are all kinds of spiritual lessons to be taught by that story, what I'm really thinking about is whether I give Scott the best of me on a daily basis, or whether I just save him a few leftovers.

Our days as wives are filled with people and things that consume us -- our time, our energy, our thoughts.  Even our word quota for the day!  I know there are many days when, by the time we've got the kids in bed and the house put back in order, I just want to curl up on the couch and give myself over to a few minutes of mindless television or FaceBook stalking. 

I don't want to talk, I don't want to think, and honestly, I usually don't even want to listen.

I try, I really do.  Because I honestly do want to know what's going on in his world every day.  It's just that by the end of the day I've got nothing left to give.

Because I let everyone else have first dibs.

It's no wonder we feel so distant from each other sometimes.

So how do we fix this?  How do I save the best portion of myself for my husband?

I've got a few ideas to share, but then I'd really like to hear your thoughts, your suggestions.

     1) Prioritize my day, and cut out some things that are not essential but use up more energy than
         they ought.
     2) Walk away from conversations that are negative and emotionally oppressive.
     3) More coffee. (Haha.)
     4) Put down what I'm working on of an afternoon several minutes before I expect him to walk in
         the door, so that I can give him my full attention right away.  Even if it's just for five or ten
         minutes.
     5) Save my most exciting news of the day to tell him first, before I tell anyone else.
     6) Be more intentional about scheduling date nights at least twice a month, even if they're "at
         home" dates.

Scott deserves more than just the leftovers, he deserves the best of me.  And your spouse deserves the best of you.  Share some ideas with me of how we can save the best portion of ourselves for our beloved, and then let's make it a point to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!