Monday, August 26, 2013

Super Mom!

 Welcome to this week's


Well, fellow moms, it's Monday again.  I don't know about you, but my weekend just flew by, and at 6:30 this morning my family rushed headlong into another week that is filled to the brim.

My Saturday morning plans for family cleaning day were preempted last week by a 7th grade football scrimmage, and I really try to avoid housework on Sundays, so here I sit on Monday morning with piles of laundry waiting to be folded, and more piles that are sorted and waiting to be put in the washer.  Carpets are begging to be vacuumed, the bookshelves look like I could plant a garden in the layer of dust.  And the kids' bedrooms?  Well, at least I can shut their doors so I don't have to see the chaos that reigns supreme in their little kingdoms.

I'm thinking about everything that has to be accomplished today and I'm thinking, How, God?  How is this all going to get done?  I checked my closet this morning for my Super Mom cape, but it wasn't there.

Sigh.

Super powers would've been nice to have today.

I guess I'll just have to do things on my own.

That's the temptation, isn't it?  To think we have to do all of this on our own?  We expect ourselves to be Super Mom, to accomplish more than is humanly possible and to do it all by ourselves.  And we exhaust ourselves trying to do just that!  After all, isn't that part of being a good mom?

Last night I laid down on the couch to listen to my daughter read to me.  Twenty minutes later I woke up and found her playing video games with her brother instead.  I was so tired I couldn't even listen to her read a book for fifteen minutes!  Is that being a good mom?


I have learned that part of being a good mom is taking care of myself as much as I take care of the rest of the family.  Yes, there's a LOT of self-sacrifice involved in being a mother, but you cannot put the family's needs ahead of your own to the point of neglect.  You are part of the family, and when you aren't cared for, the whole family suffers.

So, here are some practical suggestions, some things you can do to help yourself and become a better mom in the process:

1) Change your expectation of yourself.  Cut yourself some slack!  It's OKAY if all the work doesn't get done every day!  (Who really cares if that load of clean towels sits in the basket for two days??)

2) Prioritize.  Write everything down that you think you need to accomplish and assign a number to them according to their urgency.  Use "1" for the things that HAVE to be done today, "2" for the things that can wait until tomorrow and "3" for the ones that, honestly, are just wishful thinking.  At the top of the list, include "Quiet time with the Lord."  Don't push this off until last, make it a TOP priority!

3) Build a sabbath rest into your week.  I take Sunday afternoons.  After Sunday lunch is cleaned up, I take some time to relax, enjoy the kids, or spend some time on the front porch with my hubby.  Sometimes I even get to sneak off and have some time all to myself!  However I use my time, it is obligation free.

4) Involve your kids in the housework!  It took me far too long to start giving my kids responsibilities other than cleaning their rooms.  Partially because I wanted things done "right" (a.k.a. MY way), and partially because I thought it was easier to do things myself than to teach them.  Now they help on a daily basis and it is wonderful!

Girls, we don't have to have a Super Mom cape in order to be a super kind of mom.  Your kiddos want YOU more than they want a clean house.  Let's take the pressure off of ourselves to "do it all" and make sure we're giving our families their "best Mom" instead of their "busiest Mom." 

2 comments:

  1. Judi Dench's character on As Time Goes By said she doesn't do enough housework for it to be a nuisance, which seems ideal.

    P.S. I fell asleep once while I was reading out loud to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine,
    I have done that a time or two myself! :)

    ReplyDelete

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!