Friday, August 23, 2013

What's Your Style?

It's time for some




I went shopping a few days ago, looking for some inexpensive shirts that I could wear to work.  I wait tables at a small restaurant, so I didn't want to spend too much money knowing that there's a good chance my tops will eventually wind up with food stains on them.

As I flipped through the clearance racks, I picked up a shirt or two and went, "Blech.  NOT my style."

But as I continued digging through this summer's leftovers, I wondered, "What IS my style?"

I have a friend who always looks absolutely put together.  Even when she dons a t-shirt and jeans, she still has a polished, accessorized look that I admire.  She is quite the fashionista!  (And her kids, too!  They always seem to look picture perfect.  Someday I've got to ask her HOW she does it!)

But hers is not a style that would look quite at home on me.

I've got another friend who is the exact opposite.  She is more comfortable in athletic shorts and a t-shirt.  She assures me that she does dress up once in a while, but rarely have I seen it in person.

T-shirts and shorts aren't quite my style, either.

I've landed somewhere in-between.

But you know, I'm thinking that my "style" really isn't that important.

Because no matter what clothes I put on of a morning, the only thing that really matters is whether I put on CHRIST. 

Romans 13:14 says, "...clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh."

When people look at me, I hope they're noticing Christ shining through me more than what clothes I'm wearing.  I hope they see my smile, the joy in my eyes that comes from my walk with Him.  I pray they will see kindness in how I talk and act.  I pray that they see Jesus, not me.

What are you wearing today?  Have you been more concerned with what clothes and shoes and accessories you're going to wear today than you have with "putting on" Jesus?  Did you spend more time perfecting your appearance than you did preparing your heart?  If so, take some time now to refocus your priorities.

Put on Jesus, let Him be more than just an accessory, let him be your entire wardrobe.   

Trust me, He never goes out of style.


No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!