Friday, September 27, 2013

A Lesson in God's Sufficiency

I want to tell you a story today about something incredible God taught me last week.  But you have to promise not to get hung up on the details; don't read about ME in this story, read about HIM!

I've shared a couple of times recently about the many home repair needs we have been blessed with in the last month.  Those, coupled with the cost of raising four kids and -- quite honestly -- the consequences of some poor financial choices on our part in years past, have made things a bit on the tight side for us financially.  As a couple, we have surrendered all of our financial needs and desires to the Lord and have asked Him to provide in each situation.

But I'm the budget queen of our home, and so relinquishing control of our finances is difficult for me.  I'm willing to trust Him to provide; He just needs to let me know how He's going to do it so I can plan for it!

We don't exactly see eye-to-eye on that subject.

I work at a small downtown restaurant during the week now that my kids are all in school; I host three days and then wait tables the other two.  Business has been slow this month, which of course means less tip money going in my pocket each day.  I was making the minimum that I had planned for in my budget, but I was starting to grumble to God:

Thank you for meeting my minimum need Lord, but couldn't You exceed that just a little once in a while?  I mean, would it really hurt to let us get ahead of things for once?

There were weeks when business was hopping on the days that I hosted, but then crawled on the days I waited tables.

God, what are you doing to me?  Why won't you send any business on the days when I wait tables, when I would earn the tips?

After three weeks of this, God had apparently had enough of my whining.  He finally answered me with this heart-piercing thought:

Angie, am I not sufficient to meet your needs?  Do you really trust me to know your every need and to perfectly meet each one of them?

And I hung my head in shame.  Yes, Lord.  You ARE and I do.

I went to work that morning having determined in my heart to be grateful for whatever He chose to put in my pocket, content in the knowledge that it would be enough for the needs that I would meet that day.

I was not disappointed.

No, God didn't triple my normal earnings.  But that week I did earn enough to meet our budget needs and have enough left over to cover the cost of an event for my son that we'd been wondering how we were going to afford. 

More importantly, I learned in a very real way that God IS, without a doubt, sufficient for my every need.  When I genuinely place my trust in His provision, He will not disappoint me.  No, He probably won't ever make me a wealthy woman by the world's standards.  And no, He still hasn't promised to tell me ahead of time how He's going to provide.  I still have to trust Him.  I still have to make that choice every day to stand on the promise that He knows what I need and will provide it for me. 

Jesus said it this way in Matthew 6:24-33: 
"No one can serve two masters.  For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other.  You cannot serve both God and money. 
That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life -- whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear.  Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing?  Look at the birds.  They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them.  And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are?  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? 
And why worry about your clothing?  Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow.  They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.  And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you.  Why do you have so little faith? 
So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat?  What will we drink?  What will we wear?'  These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.  Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need."

If you get nothing else out of reading this post today, please hear this: God is sufficient; His provision is sufficient.  I made the mistake of allowing my worries about how much money I would make to dominate my thoughts.  If you're in that same place, will you ask Him today to show you how His provision for you truly is sufficient?  Trust Him to provide for today's needs.  And then tomorrow, trust Him again.  And the day after that, too.









1 comment:

  1. I've heard money was one of Jesus' most frequent subjects & understand from just my own thinking! I struggle too with worry, not helped by the fact that my husband & I aren't exactly on the same page. Your words are timely & inspiring, what a blessing to have gotten thru this.

    ReplyDelete

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!