Friday, September 6, 2013

Harmony


I was driving my oldest son to school last week when he said something that prompted me to burst into song.  He just shook his head at me and said, "Mom, you have a song for everything...and if you don't, you just make one up!"

I smiled at him and said, "Yep.  God made me with a song in my heart...I can't help it!"

I do love to sing; I've loved it since I was a little girl.  And I do always have a song of some sorts in my heart and in my head.  It's like a constant soundtrack for my life!

Several months out of the year my husband and I lead worship at our home church.  (It's one of my favorite things to do with him!)  Most often, he sings the melody and I sing harmony.  We really make a good team!

(Well, in my opinion, at least.)

The problem with always singing the harmony is that I often end up never learning the melody, so when a song gets stuck in my head I only hear the harmony! 

In fact, I was trying to sing part of a song to my son once, hoping he could help me remember the title, and he looked at me and said, "Mom, you're singing the harmony again."

And so I was.

I realized that unless I really stop and think about it, nearly every song that plays through my head focuses on the harmony line.  I really have to try to hear the melody.  Which is just a little bit backwards!  After all, the MELODY is the important part;  the harmony is just there to make the melody sound sweeter.

The melody can stand alone; the harmony sounds out of place all by itself.

The melody is essential to the song; the harmony is merely there for decoration.

It reminds me of a verse in Romans..."Don't think you are better than you really are." (Romans 12:3)

You see, sometimes I start to think of myself as pretty important.  Essential, even.  God needs me, the church needs me.  I am the melody, listen to me!

Well, guess what...I am NOT the melody.

CHRIST and HIS GOSPEL are the melody.

I am a simple harmony line, created to be beautiful and sweet, but only for the glory of the One who is most important.

The really cool thing about harmony...you can have more than one line.  And as you add layers to your song, the harmonies can weave together a deep, rich, gorgeous accompaniment for the melody line.

We, as God's Church, are that accompaniment!

We each bring our own voice to the song, and as we work together IN HARMONY with one another, we elevate the melody -- The Gospel of Jesus -- to new heights.  People take notice and they stop to listen.


The Melody is essential.  God is essential.

But the harmony -- that's you and me -- makes the melody more beautiful.

Let's be diligent at living our lives so that God is glorified among us and in the eyes and ears of those who are listening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!