Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Poured Out




"Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.' Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me." ~ Philippians 2:14-18


I confess, I grumble from time to time about all the things I have to do as a mom.  

Okay, maybe a little more than "from time to time."

Don't get me wrong: I love my kiddos more than life itself.  I very often delight in them.  I love hearing them laugh, watching them play, feeling their little arms wrap around my neck.  It makes my heart sing to hear them pray and to listen as they belt out their favorite worship song on the way to town.  And their sweet little faces as I kiss them each goodnight...so precious and perfect, each one of them.

But then there are those moments when all four of them need something from me, the two youngest are fighting over some random toy, dinner is burning on the stove and one of the older boys wants to know why he can't have a friend over for the evening...  Those are the moments when I just want to scream, "QUIET!" and send them all to separate corners of the house.

Okay, so I have actually done that.

(More than once.)

Being a mom is HARD work, whether you have one child or an entire quiver-full.  It's exhausting.  Because unlike any other job, there is no "quittin' time."  Or lunch break or coffee break or any other kind of break!  Shoot, we moms are lucky to get a quick trip to the bathroom without someone tagging along or banging on the door while we're in there!

My knight in shining armor (otherwise known as my husband) came to my rescue recently and took all the children to town for two whole hours so I could have some time to collect my thoughts and gather my wits about me after a long weekend at home with everyone.

And do you know what I did for those two hours?  NOTHING!  I sat on the couch and watched TV, did a little FaceBook stalking and didn't have to worry about anyone other than myself.

It. Was. Glorious.

I know the apostle Paul wasn't a mom, but somehow he still phrased it perfectly when he said he was being "poured out like a drink offering."  We moms pour ourselves out for our kids all day long, every day.  Even when we're not with them, we're still doing things to take care of them: working at our paying jobs, cleaning house, cooking for them, washing their clothes, praying for them, running their forgotten lunch bags to the school...  We are constantly pouring out our energy, our time, our every resource to provide the physical, spiritual and emotional support they need.

And someday we'll look up and see that they "shine...like stars in the sky," and our hearts will burst with pride in our children and gratitude for our Father who made all our efforts finally come to fruition.

But in the years between then and now, as we continue to pour ourselves out for our children, let me encourage you moms to make sure you're also pouring inIf you consistently pour out without filling up, your cup will eventually run dry.  

We've all heard it said over and over that we moms need to make sure and take some time for ourselves.  Pamper ourselves once in a while.  Take a break.  Enjoy a morning out with our friends.  And I agree; we've got to build some of this into our days and weeks.

But that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about making sure you're giving God time to pour into your life, into your soul.  Are you finding time away from your family to let God's Word soak into your heart?  Are you spending more than a fleeting moment talking to Him and listening to what He needs to tell you?  Are you ever just crawling up in His lap and finding that rest that He promises? (Matthew 11:28)

Girls, our resources are limited.  God's are limitLESS.  Let Him fill your cup so that you have a full offering to pour out on behalf of your family.  Give Him the opportunity every day to fill you to the brim; to make you overflow, even!  When we draw from HIS well instead of our own, we will find the blessings we pour out on others to be richer, sweeter, and easier to give.

Keep pouring out, girls, but take time to sit in His presence and let yourself be filled up as well.

"Jesus answered, 'Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.'” ~ John 4:13-14


No comments:

Post a Comment

One-sided conversations are no fun. Post a comment and let's talk!